Monday, June 4, 2007

The House

In the late 1940s, Elisa’s brother, Teofilo, has just transferred into a new house in San Jose (now Don T. Lutero Street, Janiuay, Iloilo, Philippines). The lot was purchased by Elisa, but she allowed Teofilo and his wife Cecilia to build a house made of bamboo in the area to help them set up their family. In a short time, the house was done. However, the kitchen sink happened to be situated directly over a termite hill. (In the Philippines, these termite hills are believed to be homes of otherworldly beings. )
In the next few days, Teofilo would arrive home from the farm and find Cecilia doing her best to hush up their second child, nine month old Boy. Every evening since they transferred to the new house, Boy would have a high fever and cry his lungs out.
A few nights later, Elisa was awakened from her deep sleep by a high-pitched voice.
“Wake up!” it said, “I want to talk with you.”
Elisa got up and groped for the matches, so she could light the kerosene lamp.
“No,” the voice said. “don’t light the lamp. Just talk with me.”
From the moonlight streaming through the walls, Elisa could sense someone sitting on her bed.
“What do you want?” she said.
“I am the owner of the house under your brother’s sink. Please relocate your sink as all the water and garbage are messing up my roof,” the voice said.
“Hah!” snorted Elisa. “What roof are you talking about? It’s just a termite hill!”
“I’ll show you my house. Look!” said the voice. The creature waved its hand and, like a movie screen opening up on the wall, Elisa could see that the contours of the termite hill approximates the roundness of a palatial roof.
“See?” said the voice. “My muchachas (maids) are complaining that they have a hard time keeping my house clean. You see, I live in America, and I only come home during holidays. Please transfer your sink.”
“Well, that would be a bother, since the whole house is already done,” Elisa answered. “How about if I just buy the place from you?”
The creature let out a high-pitched laugh. “Are you serious? You cannot afford that!”
“Try me,” Elisa said.
“Well, let’s see,” said the voice. “I want a nine month old baby boy. Give me that and we’ve got a deal.”
Then the creature disappeared.

The very next evening, Teofilo came home drunk with tuba (coconut toddy) and found Cecilia trying to lower baby Boy’s fever. The child had been sick for a few days already, and the fever does not seem to abate.
“This bloody bungsod is cursed!” Teofilo shouted. He lit a bunch of dried coconut leaves and set it upon the termite hill.
“No, no, Teofilo, stop that!” cried Cecilia from their room. “Help me here! Boy is having convulsions!”
Immediately Teofilo put out the fire and went to help Cecilia. As soon as the fire was out, Boy stopped convulsing and slept peacefully.
The baby only got well after they relocated the sink.

No comments: